Monday, November 9, 2009

A Chair Full of Bowlies



One of my favorite snacks growing up was home-made, canned cherries so, I was delighted to find in the canned fruit section that cherries seemed to be a Hungarian specialty. It was was one the few fruit in glass and had a whole shelf dedicated to various brands. I assumed that they must all be fantastic and picked up the biggest cheapest jar I could get my hands on. "Winny" is the generic brand, I think (I could be completely wrong), in one of the grocery stores. Their pasta is really quite sub-par... and well so are the Cherries - or should I say their Magozott Meggybefott Cukrozott?

No, I shouldn't because I can't even figure out how to get the right symbol over the O so I probably can't pronounce it.

-I can find the ´, the ¨, the ˆ, and even the ø... But those dashes are beyond me.

Side-note: Google translates that to Stoned Sour Cherry Purée. There is nothing puréed about this some-what delicious dessert. Sour? Yeah, kinda. Cherry? Most definitely. Stoned? No, but I bet the juice would be fantastic with a little vodka and ice (Hi Grandma!). Purée? Not in the slightest.

Anyways, even sub-par canned cherries are better than no canned cherries at all.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Jill. Before you left I forgot to tell you that when I was in Hungary, I learned that canned cherries were one of their 'great specialties'. They served them at every meal(as a dessert) and my roommate who was highly allergic to cherries had one heck of a time trying to get them to acknowledge what other dishes also contained cherries as an ingredient. Did you know that one can buy cherry fruit/compote imported from Hungary in grocery stores in Canada? (But to think of it, why would one since 'special' appears to be a different matter from nation to nation when it comes to taste.) You will be sure to look for Hungarian cherries upon your return to Canada, won't you? And the sugar content in these jars of fruit is generally very, very high.
    love, auntie chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing "stoned" means that they have their pits (stones) removed.... ;)

    ReplyDelete